MONROVIA, Montserrado – The Ministry of Education has announced the dates for schools to reopen after the COVID-19 pandemic forced the closure of schools across the country. The move is intended to allow students to complete the 2019-2020 academic year that was halted in March.
The ministry said the decision comes after consultations with health authorities and the recent ending of the lockdown by President George Weah. However, only grades 6 through 11 would be allowed to open.
“The early childhood education to 5th grade will not be enrolled in physical activities to complete the 2019/2020 academic year as more review is conducted to adequately plan for the opening of the ECE level for the next academic year,” the press release read.
To this effect, the ministry urged schools to “facilitate the packaging of lessons as homework for the ECE to 5th-grade students and plan for a one-time assessment.”
The ministry said it would allow various classes to resume in phases, with 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th graders beginning and to be followed by 10th and 11th graders. Students in Grade 12 had already resumed classes on June 26, 2020 to prepare for the regional West African Senior Secondary Certification Examinations. Those classes are scheduled to end on August 14, with the regional examinations beginning shortly after.
Classes for sixth, seventh, eighth, and ninth graders will begin on August 10 and end on October 3. In the case of the 10th and 11th graders, their classes are to begin on October 5 and end on November 4.
In its guidance, the ministry has also warned against assemblies for graduation ceremonies for all levels. It also advised parents to continuously observe their children and to restrict those showing any symptoms of COVID-19 from attending classes.
Featured photo by Neil Brandvold/USAID